Wairakei Estate was proud to provide sponsorship for Waitangi Day celebrations facilitated by the Ngati Tahu – Ngati Whaoa Runanga Trust. The event was a great success with an estimated 150 attendees enjoying the following:
- A display of Reporoa iwi and early settler history.
- Stalls selling food and bric a brac.
- Competitions for all age groups including a talent quest, design a Reporoa stamp, colouring-in, best fancy dress costume and a ‘How well do you know Reporoa ’ quiz.
- Mystery prizes for attendees – books and a gift basket.
- Games and entertainment for the children; including face painting, a bouncy castle and fun outdoor activities.
- Entertainment for teenagers and adults was also catered for with a band, and an M.C. famous via Instagram.
In a thank you letter from Michelle Phillips, Project Planner, Ngati Tahu – Ngati Whaoa Runanga Trust has the following to say “Feedback received on the day, and afterwards, has been very complimentary and I believe it was well worth holding, as it provided an option for our local community to celebrate the country’s special day. As well as learn some local history without having to leave the valley”.